How to Recognize The Sensible Moms at BlogHer 13

This post is going to have a little bit of something for everyone.

For our “real life” friends – What BlogHer and VOTY mean will finally be revealed!

For our blogging friends – You will be given the tools to pick us out in the crowd!

For our children – We gift you with a heaping dose of humiliation!

How to Recognize Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms at BlogHer 13

BlogHer is the HUGE conference on all things women and blogging – over 5,000 attendees last year! There are seminars on how to hone and pump up your blogging craft, there are speakers, there is an expo floor full of brand representatives ready to toss out swag, and there are lounges where they pamper you with caffeine and wifi. We even heard somewhere there is karaoke, but we’ll be skipping that . . . and the universe breathed a sigh of relief.

Another part of this extravaganza is Voice Of The Year – VOTY. This is where bloggers submit their own best writing (or the blog posts of their peers) to be judged in one of four categories: Op-Ed, Humor, Heart, or Inspiration. Each category has honorees, three readers, and a People’s Choice Award.

There were 2,600 submissions, but only 25 pieces were honored in each category! I’m assuming we’ll be able to pick out the committee members at the conference by their blood shot eyes and fear of sunlight. What an impossible job to pick 100 pieces of writing out of that honkin’ deep pool of talent. That is why we were delighted and gratified when we were chosen as a Humor Honoree for The Sensible Sisterhood Summer Camp. Read the rest of the selections here to understand why we’re so humbled.

We’ve really taken this explanation as far as we can BECAUSE THIS IS OUR FIRST CONFERENCE! We’re newbies and we’re just gonna ride the wave to Chicago and have a blast! But we were a little worried that our blogger friends would not be able to recognize us in the flesh. So that is where the humiliation of our children comes in. We made a video. Behold.

And then they vlogged . . .

So it’s a little fuzzy and sound challenged, but so are we. Maybe we’ll just stick to what got us here – writing.

Ellen and Erin

Share it real good . . .
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someonePrint this page

Comments

comments

18 Responses to “How to Recognize The Sensible Moms at BlogHer 13”

1. Meredith
    July 18, 2013 at 10:02 am #

I’m in love with you both. You are perfect.
    Meredith recently posted..How Do I Love Thee, Edy’s? Let Me Count the FlavorsMy Profile

2. Carisa Miller
    July 18, 2013 at 11:30 am #

A terrific idea! I want to make one now but am shy because I have no partner. Excuse now, while I try to find the cat… See you soon!

3. hilljean
    July 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

You guys are so funny! I’d recognize you anywhere :) Excited to hug you both at BlogHer!
    hilljean recently posted..More grace, please.My Profile

4. Dana
    July 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I sadly won’t get to meet you at BlogHer, but now I can play your video over and over again and pretend I’m there. Have a blast and leave the ax at home!
    Dana recently posted..Just One of the BoysMy Profile

5. Mary
    July 18, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I don’t know what to say after watching that blog except to say I I so wish I was coming just to watch you two from afar and then share with all the sisters back home my thoughts.

Love you guys and in all seriousness (because the above statement was not!) I am super proud of you and your award!!!

6. Darcy Perdu
    July 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

You are both hilarious! And superb ax-wielding, tiara-wearing, volleyball players! Can’t wait to meet you at BlogHer!
    Darcy Perdu recently posted..How to Get Your Freak On — DISCREETLYMy Profile

7. Leslie
    July 18, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

I giggled the WHOLE way through that video! You two are adorable, and now I’m certain I’ll be able to recognize you. Phew! Promise me you’ll sit with me at VOTY and share your Sour Patch Kids!
    Leslie recently posted..A vacation, an award, vajazzled vulvae, and BlogHer ’13My Profile

8. Jean
    July 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

That was awesome! Maybe when I get more experience I’ll have the courage to run screaming towards you in excitement at the BlogHer conference. Maybe 2030?
    Jean recently posted..Stroller ShamingMy Profile

9. Aunt Karo
    July 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

I am so proud of you two!! You have earned the right to be with the best of the best. My hat’s off to you. Love you!!

10. Stephanie
    July 19, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Yep, I definitely won’t miss you ladies now! And I’m not much the vlogger, either. Don’t feel bad. (This was cute!)
    Stephanie recently posted..The Life Cycle of BrandingMy Profile

11. Norine of Science of Parenthood
    July 19, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Funny! Please wear your party dresses so I can pick you out among the throngs!
    Norine of Science of Parenthood recently posted..8 Kid-Gifts That Moms Really HateMy Profile

July 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Heh, heh, heh. I first read that as “thongs.” Ellen

12. Kate
    July 20, 2013 at 9:38 am #

I think I’ll be able to pick you two out, the problem I’ll have is trying to remember which one of you is which. That sounds awful – I’m re-watching the video.

Vlogging is hard. The two I’ve done are just me lip-syncing. Nice job!

13. deborah quinn
    July 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

YAY on being VOTY. That is really just superpluperfantastic. I wish I were going to be in Chicago for the conference b/c I would love to hear your actual voices as opposed to the voices I hear in my head. I mean…the voices I hear when I read your blog (which are different from the voice I usually hear in head)…ack. Anyway. Have a great great time & don’t forget to GET OUTSIDE THE HOTEL. Breathe nonblogher air occasionally…(but don’t forget the swag…)
    deborah quinn recently posted..changes in the heart(land)My Profile

July 21, 2013 at 11:51 am #

I wish you were going too! I would love, love, love to meet you. And trade swag like Halloween candy. Just keep playing our video as you go to sleep at night; then you won’t be able to get us out of your head. ;) Ellen

14. Lance
    July 22, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Have fun, ladies. I wish I could y’all. Maybe another conference, soon. But I can not go to Chicago this week.

Can’t wait to see and read how it went.
    Lance recently posted..Face To The FloorMy Profile

15. Cathy Chester
    July 23, 2013 at 7:07 am #

You guys are too cute. See/hear you there! Hysterical…
    Cathy Chester recently posted..Meet Molly And Her Dog Joey: Support No Pet Store Puppies Day (VIDEO And Giveaway)My Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. So You’ll Know Me When You See Me at #BlogHer13 (and everywhere else!) | OldDogNewTits - July 22, 2013

[...] it, she supports me. And was sitting beside me as I watched a video created by my good friends, Erin & Ellen at Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms, to help other conference delegates identify them in Chicago. I could see my girl’s wheels [...]