OH MY GOODNESS! Proceed with caution before making this delicious chocolate-y confection. It is THAT good! We found the original recipe here. –-Erin
It would make a great holiday gift too. Enjoy! Erin
- Box of chocolate Chex mix (original recipe asks you to measure 8 cups, but I found that it was practically the whole box minus a little bowl to munch on while you make this)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (I hate margarine. Trust me.Use the real stuff.)
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, MINI size
- 1 cup MINIATURE marshmallows
- 1/2 cup MILK chocolate baking chips (or more if you’re a huge chocolate fan)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate baking chips
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
1. Line a large cookie sheet with foil. Pour the cereal (minus that little bowl for munching) into a large bowl.
2. In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Stir after 1 minute until melted and smooth.
4. Stir in baking soda until dissolved.
5. Pour caramel mixture over cereal and stir until evenly coated.
6. Microwave on High 3 minutes, BUT stop to stir after every minute.
7. Spread the Chex mix/caramel mixture on the prepared cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
8. Make sure the Chex mixture is cool to the touch otherwise the candy will melt. Then evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over the Chex mixture. (My 5 year old LOVED doing this!) It’s just a bonus that this is a super easy dessert to assemble with kids underfoot.
9. I melted the milk chocolate baking chips and the white chocolate baking chips in two separate saucepans on the stove top, but you can melt the chips in the microwave. Place the white and chocolate morsels in separate heavy duty ziplock plastic bags. Microwave at 70% power for 30 to 40 seconds, then knead the bags. If necessary, microwave at 70% power at additional 10 to 15 seconds intervals, kneading until melted.
10 . If you melted the chips in the saucepans, use a spoon or fork to drizzle the melted chocolates over the cereal mixture. If you melted them in the microwave, cut a tiny corner from each bag and squeeze to drizzle the chocolates over it. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet. (You could do also add melted caramel chips, but I didn’t here and it was still delicious!)
11. Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container. Perfect for gift giving and stuffing your face.
Check out our books, “I Just Want to Be Alone” and “You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth.”
Have every post delivered to your inbox! You can opt out at any time, but you won’t want to.