Evil Joy Lurks Below the Surface of The Sisterhood

Alright,we are just gonna lay this out for you: we have a great friendship. We laugh, we hang, and we respect each other. Truly. You have heard us wax poetic about each other here, here, and here. We started this blog together because our parenting styles are so in sync. Hello? Sensible Moms.

But every once in a loooooong while, we just take the slightest, teensiest, most microscopic joy in watching the other one squirm. Most of the time, we are both just one missing shoe away from losing our minds, so watching the other teeter on the precipice provides validation that no one is perfect and we’re all just doing the best that we can to keep the crazy train on the tracks.

Butttttt, it also provides pure, indulgent entertainment.   If that makes us slightly evil, we are 100% A-OK with that because we look darn good in black and have been diligently practicing our maniacal laughs.

10 Evil Joys of The Sensible Moms

1. Scanner Bite in the Butt

Erin has been telling Ellen for no less than one year that she is about to hook up her scanner. So far, it has only bitten Ellen and the blog in the arse until last Thursday . . .

Erin: Oh my goodness! This morning, like at 6:45 AM, I found out that Biddie (14) needs a 2 x 3 baby picture of herself  for her school’s yearbook and the deadline to email it is TODAY! She was born pre-digital! Ahhhhh! I’m headed over to a friend’s house right now to scan one before the bell rings.

Ellen: Oh, is it inconvenient for you not to have a scanner? I can’t imagine what that feels like. Oh wait, I can.

Erin: Not quite the support I was looking for.

Ellen: How about this? Plug in the blasted USB cord.

2. Throwing Gasoline on Girls’ Night Out

Ellen: Erin gets plenty of flexibility training patting herself on the back for her peacemaking abilities . . . and she really should because she has mad skills. She is the one we turn to all of the time to cool down heated discussions and and to salve hurt feelings. But every once in a while, she loses her ever-loving mind over the most unlikely subjects.

Erin: I’m sorry, but Andy Griffith really is not that great.

Ellen: That’s right, folks. She ground not one, but two soirees to a halt because she could keep silent no more about her loathing for Mr. Griffith.

Erin: Seriously? Do we need to rehash this? We already covered it here and, I might add, we decided that I deserved a sliver of vindication.

Ellen: Take your sliver if it makes you feel better. I’m just over here enjoying the chuckles it still gives me.

3. Keening Over Keens

Ellen: So while we are on the subject of Erin losing her mind over the most unlikely topics . . .

Erin: I’m ready to start spreading the evil joy around to someone else . . .

Ellen: There was this one time, while on our Big Love camping trip, that she wanted to stage a photo with all of the Keen sandals.

Erin: C’mon, it was pretty cool that all 5 moms and all 13 kids had Keens. It was like an advertisement!

Ellen: I am totally with you that it was a great picture . . .

A photo like this just doesn’t happen.

Ellen: But here is what YOU always like to refer to as “the rest of the story.” Seriously, if you want to see behind the curtain of The Sisterhood, you MUST watch this.

Erin: The shoes were not matching up because Biddie(14) wasn’t paying attention when she grabbed her Keens out of the garage and picked up TWO DIFFERENT SIZES. And I had to ask a bajillion times for her to even do that.

Ellen: I still maintain that while she made a blister-inducing bed, she snuggled down in it and NEVER complained once that her shoes weren’t fitting. What more could you want?

Erin: How about owning up to it when I was LOSING MY MIND because it looked like we were missing two shoes because of the mismatched pair?

Ellen: Fine. But what is your excuse for the Christmas tree debacle?

4. Christmas Farm or Funny Farm?

Erin: Oh, Ellen, might have been slightly jealous of my Christmas tree-getting tradition in the past. With its rosy glow of familial harmony, it was practically a Hallmark commercial. But that was all in the past. This year, things got ugly on my end and it was Ellen’s turn to smirk. Apparently, there’s only so much Norman Rockwell to go around.

Ellen: I took my evil joy with a side of fabulous family memories topped with some Beyonce-level awesomeness.

5. Bloggers Dance Meltdown

Erin: Back in May, we played with the gracious, funny Kerry at House Talkn who hosts Blogger’s Dance

Ellen: Let’s be accurate, I played. YOU were still struggling with some of the more technical aspects of blogging and STILL telling me you were about to hook up your scanner.

Erin: I did try to talk you out of it.

Ellen: That is one of the more helpful things you did because it did set me with a fit.

Erin: You took to the tech-y side of blogging like a Gremlin to water . . .

Ellen: I’m not sure that analogy is complimentary . . .

Erin: So it was with the wee-est, teensiest, most minuscule bit of joy that I watched the video have its way with you.

Ellen: Dude! Part of the problem was that YOU couldn’t get the video off of your camera and I had to construct your part on Paint  (I know! Right?) with a photo MARY emailed to me because YOU never sent me one.

Erin: What’s done is done because the end product was so worth every hour spent, tear shed, and drop of alcohol consumed. You can read the original post here. Or just get your boogie on with the video . . .

If this inspired you to get your groove on, there is still time to dance your way into Kerry’s Valentine’s Day link-up.

6. Crock O’ Something

Erin: Whilst Big Lov-ing with some of our Sisterhood friends this summer, I thought I made an interesting discovery while making our awesome Chicken Bar-B-Q. I felt like Erin The Science Gal.

Ellen: Here it comes.

Erin: But to feed the army that was five families camping, we brought two crockpots—Ellen’s with the dark crock and Erin’s with the white crock. Same ingredients.  Same time. Same everything. Different results. Hmmmm. Well, the theories started a-flying. I believed the color of the insert made a difference.

Ellen: I think that is a crock of you-know-what (Pun!). The entire Sisterhood, not just me, delighted in the way this knocked Erin off her rocker.

Erin: I may or may not be planning a legit science experiment to prove my point. Stay tuned.

Aww, does this look like a group who would throw down over crockpots?? Why, Yes. Yes, it does!

7. Mother’s Day Madness

Ellen: Nothing can send a woman over the edge faster than her family proclaiming that they will devote an entire day to her and her needs when she knows them better than anyone and knows that ain’t gonna happen—no way, no how.

Erin: Mother’s Day 2012 took Ellen down and hard. I, not yet knowing that Andy Griffith, the Keens, the crockpot, and the tree farm would do me in, delighted in Ellen’s monumental Momma meltdown.

Ellen: Oh, Karma is one sneaky devil, she is.

Ellen, Post-Tasmanian-Devil-Style Flip-Out Over Mother’s Day, her calendar, etc.

8. Travel Team Tantrums

Erin: Having kids on travel teams for soccer for the last few years, I almost choked when Ellen told me Coco (14) was joining a travel volleyball league. And then I laughed. But I swear, it was really more in commiseration. I was laughing with her, not at her.

Ellen: Yeah. To be fair, I did my research and the team had NEVER gone to ANY all weekend tournaments. . . until this year, that is.

Erin: I thought I had told you that Travel Team is code for Gas-Guzzling, Time-Sucking, Money-Grubbing  Sports Enterprise.

Ellen: I think you undersold it.

Erin: Well, I think in this case the joke’s on both of us.

9. Will Smith Gets Us But No One Else Does

Ellen: Remember wayyyyy back in the day when the Fresh Prince sang, “Parents just don’t understand”. He felt us. Honestly.

Erin: Our families and friends get that we blog. But let’s just say the majority don’t get why or how and, frankly, really don’t understand it. At all. Which is totally OK. But we do get a little evil joy when one of them says, “Well, maybe I’ll go write a blog too”.

Ellen: To which we say, “Peace out. Rock on.” And then cackle into our magic mirrors.

10. The last evil joy

Erin: I’ll admit that there was this one time I got a little smug about my triumph on the blog. We were skewering a children’s book for Ninja Mom’s Character Assassination Carousel, and we thought it would be better to read it aloud, like a read-along story. After HOURS of working (Read: crying, stomping my feet like a two year old, and throwing back some whiskey sour slushies like they were water), I finally got the audio player on to the post. My first thought? I showed Ellen.

Ellen: And MY first thought was, “Ha! I’m glad that you had a hard time with it, because the tech side of blogging has been sucking my time like a leech.”

And on that note . . .

Click the link to read some other great posts over at  Monday Listicles!

Comments

comments

54 Responses to “Evil Joy Lurks Below the Surface of The Sisterhood”

1. thedoseofreality
    February 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

#9 honestly made me laugh out loud. If only people knew how much actual time and energy goes into blogging! ;) Great take on the topic ladies! :)
    thedoseofreality recently posted..10 Examples Of Why Facebook Makes Us Happy (And You Should Totally Hang Out With Us There)My Profile

2. Alison
    February 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

That IS a great shoe picture! (couldn’t watch the video though, marked as private)
    Alison recently posted..Dear Future FriendMy Profile

3. Marie
    February 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

You two have way too much fun together…it should be illegal! I love the photo of the Keen shoes (by the way, the video in that one is marked as private and doesn’t work). To be honest, I think I prefer that Andy Griffith show to the Chicken Dance!!
    Marie recently posted..Ten tiny things that bring me joyMy Profile

4. Vicky
    February 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

I love this. There is nothing better than having girlfriends with whom you can share hysterical private jokes. My BFF and I used to take junior high students to Europe for tours. I can not tell you how many inside jokes or hysterical memories we created. In fact, 9 years later, we still bust out laughing after simply making eye contact- no words spoken. We both know we are reliving the time we lost each other in a mall in France. No one quite gets us but that’s why our friendship is so awesome! Love that you ladies clearly have that as well!
    Vicky recently posted..It’s Valentine’s Day- Feel the love!My Profile

February 18, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Is there some sort of congressional medal of honor for taking junior high students through Europe?? Wow! Ellen

5. Laura venters
    February 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

The video was marked private. Erin I’m still waiting for the crock pot experiment.

6. Kerry B
    February 17, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

you two sound like my dear friend and me. I call her Fufi because 20 some years ago her Fuji bike got stolen and she told the cops it was called a Fufi bike. They kept asking her “what?” and we kept snickering. To this day we call her Fufi, the girls call her Aunt Fufi and we refer to her boobs as the fufettes because they are so big.
    I love your blog aside of being funny, it reminds me of our days living at the beach being evil kidless and stressfree!
    Thanks ladies for the laughs!
    Kerry B recently posted..Ten Things That Bring Me Joy….You?My Profile

7. Lisa C
    February 18, 2013 at 12:10 am #

Ha! What are friends for, if not to laugh at? ;)
    Lisa C recently posted..10 Little Things That Bring Me JoyMy Profile

February 18, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Agreed! And Ellen has some mad cake-making skills. ; ) Erin

8. christine
    February 18, 2013 at 12:13 am #

The keens video…hilarious. You really know how to show your kids a good time! :)

It’s good to have a good friend to make fun of you when you lose your mind. Puts things all back into perspective. You two do that very well.
    christine recently posted..Monday Listicles – Joy. No, Not the Dish Soap.My Profile

February 18, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Aww, thanks, Christine! We do have a blast! Erin

9. Robin Jingjit
    February 18, 2013 at 2:51 am #

I feel like our family is like that with Rainbows (the shoes) they are like 10 pairs at our house and there are only 4 of us!
    You guys are so cute, the way you banter.
    Robin Jingjit recently posted..10 little things that bring me joyMy Profile

10. Diane
    February 18, 2013 at 3:58 am #

I almost had to stop reading when the topic of Andy Griffith came up again. Sorry Erin but I’m with Ellen on this one. :)

The Keens pic cracked me up.

February 18, 2013 at 9:43 am #

We ran an Andy Griffith experiment in the post we wrote about it and after much scientific deliberation, I have to back Erin up on her stance. Sorry. I still probably wouldn’t stop a party over it. :) Ellen

11. Wayne
    February 18, 2013 at 5:43 am #

I have to agree with the strong dislike for Andy Griffith. Ick! Ick! ick!
    Wayne recently posted..Monday QuizMy Profile

12. Kim@Co-Pilot Mom
    February 18, 2013 at 8:22 am #

There is definitely a difference between crockpots! I never thought of the insert colour being a factor, but I used to make a mac and cheese in my old crockpot – I had it down: time, ingredients, everything. But the first time I made it in my new crockpot, it burned. And yes, they have different coloured inserts: green and black. Interesting…. :)
    Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..Ode to Joy – 10 Small Things That Make Me HappyMy Profile

February 18, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Oh my goodness, I can feel Erin gloating over me from here. I feel her crockpot experiment coming on strong now.

Sorry about the mac and cheese. Ellen

13. Kenya G. Johnson
    February 18, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Behind the scenes was funny! I LOL’d at “where’s the sharpie”. And LOL to the techie references of blogging.
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted..Oh joy!My Profile

14. Jackie
    February 18, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I never have gotten into Keens, but apparently I’m missing something. And as for travel teams…something I am so not looking forward to. I am forever indebted to my own parents for the countless days they have lost of their lives sitting in pools across the greater Philadelphia area.
    Jackie recently posted..Etsy, Bitsy, Teeny, WeenyMy Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

We all have Keens because they are the best (when you have the correct sizes). Knock-offs just aren’t as good.

See. I told Erin that technically I have been doing travel teams for years because of swim team, but she said it wasn’t the same. I don’t know, though, we have to travel around 3 states. Ellen
      The Sisterhood recently posted..Evil Joy Lurks Below the Surface of The SisterhoodMy Profile

15. Kelly
    February 18, 2013 at 9:15 am #

You guys make me laugh inappropriately while at work. Which means you’re quickly becoming one of my favorites from the Listicles links! Awesome list. And great friendship. Have a fantastic Monday!
    Kelly recently posted..Small yet joyful thingsMy Profile

16. Kathy
    February 18, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Visiting from Listicles. Could you come hook up my scanner?
    Kathy recently posted..Guilty Pleasures…My Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

I’ll put you on Erin’s calendar. It’ll be precisely two weeks after never. :) Ellen

17. Southern Angel
    February 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Why oh why can’t I have cool real life friends that get the blogging thing like I do?? I mean really. So I live through ya’ll with a tinge of jealousy and vicariously. Sighs..
    Southern Angel recently posted..If you are happy and you know it play Monday Listicles…My Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

We’ll we did have talk one another into blogging together, so maybe that is the secret. Ellen

18. Jen
    February 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

My scanners hooked up, but I don’t know how to use it. I’m always getting error messages, or upside down scans I can’t seem to adjust. Recently I asked someone if I should fax some documents. She said just email them to me. I said, sure, when I get my act together. Read that as NEVER.
    Thanks for the laughs. Visiting from Listicles
    Jen recently posted..10 {tiny} secret things that bring me joyMy Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

But take heart! You’re one step closer to the impossible dream than Erin is. ;) Ellen

19. Carrie
    February 19, 2013 at 12:12 am #

This was a great read, so fun!
    Carrie from Just Mildly Medicated
    Carrie recently posted..The begining of a trip to the Mayo Clinic, Night Ranger and Roller CoastersMy Profile

20. BonnyBard
    February 19, 2013 at 9:01 am #

This was the your best post ever, entertainment-wise, it had it all, shoes, videos, dancing, stick figures, crock pots…. Man, I wish I could be your friend!
    BonnyBard recently posted..Happy Birthday my sweet BoyMy Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Thank you. We wish we could come to Italy to be your IRL friend! Ellen

21. HouseTalkN
    February 19, 2013 at 9:36 am #

I want to be besties IRL with you guys! I can throw down over a crockpot with the best of them!
    HouseTalkN recently posted..Coffee Table Swoon!My Profile

February 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

And we would love to be besties with you, especially in Maui. ;) We could start a crockpot gang. Terrorize the pineapple farmers. Rule the world. Ellen

22. Stephanie @ Mommy, for real.
    February 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Oh thank God you wrote this! I had you both on such a pedestal and I am relieved that you also wig out over little things! ;) That Keens photo and accompanying video were fantastic! Thanks for another glimpse of your world!
    Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. recently posted..Raising Sisters- Will Someone Always Lose?My Profile

February 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

You just made me spit my seltzer out. Erin just had a woman IRL tell her that she had the perfect family. Her response? “Well, we all can relax then if I’m the standard for perfection.”

BTW, I haven’t washed my face today. Ellen

23. Ginger Kay
    February 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I, too, loved these glimpses behind the scenes. Way to keep it real, ladies!
    Ginger Kay recently posted..Presidents Day ReadingMy Profile

24. Kate
    February 19, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

I love the keens picture. You should tweet that to them. It’s a great one. I like the chicken dance in the video too. Where were the sprinkler, driving the bus, and ordinary white-guy moves?

BTW, a coyote *did* take off with my cat. I wrote about it today in response to your question.
    Kate recently posted..A Coyote Ate My CatMy Profile

25. Kimberly Speranza (Sperk*)
    February 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

#6 has reality tv show written all over it. The Keen photo shoot, too. Start pitching to Bravo. I’m tired of the Housewives of Beverly Hills. :)
    Love your take on the list. Love revisiting Sisterhood highlights.
    Kimberly Speranza (Sperk*) recently posted..Wednesday’s Woman: Conquering Family / Life BalanceMy Profile

26. Ducky
    February 21, 2013 at 11:03 am #

I’d like to say I remember exactly what I read. However, at this point I don’t remember anything. We are snowed in today and by WE I mean THE ENTIRE FAMILY. Just as I was enjoying the post and excited to have some time to finally catch up on the stuff I WANT to do this week, the kids start screaming at each other. Its like they purposefully come from where ever they are hiding just to be bossy and nasty to each other.

Someone is likely to not survive the day. Could very well be me.
    Ducky recently posted..Team VaginaMy Profile

February 21, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Poor Ducky. It might be movie time. Not to be confused with hammer time. At all. erin

27. Stasha
    February 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Seeing the dance video never gets old!! Also most of your evil joys could be sorted with an app ;) Like there is a scanner one and a shoe organizing one…
    Stasha recently posted..GlassesMy Profile

28. Leslie
    February 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Too funny! At least you can laugh at each other together. BTW, stick figure Erin has got some mad dancing skills!
    Leslie recently posted..{Weigh in Wednesday} Week 7My Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Facebook Follow-Up Friday #2 | Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms - February 22, 2013

[...] Evil Joy Lurks Beneath the Surface of The Sisterhood [...]

2. Big Love Camping: Camera Angles Are Key | Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms - August 26, 2013

[...] see pictures of Keens and canoeing and campfires, but you have a [...]